Spotlight Interview with Author Sierra Kay...

...author of From Behind the Curtain and Unhinged

I met Sierra Kay at a recent function by the Chicago Writer’s Association. After a very interesting panel discussion I approached Sierra and we hit it off! She agreed to do an interview for my blog and I have enjoyed communicating with her. Sierra has an M.A. in Writing from DePaul University in Chicago and recently won a Nuyorican PoetsCafe Short Story Slam.

Sierra will be doing a book signing at Wine Styles in Frankfort, IL on Friday, September 13. In addition she is also slated to be attending the Dayton Book Expo Author Pavillion at the Dayton Women's Fair (Booth #366) in Vandalia, OH on September 21-22, 2013; Saturday-Sunday 10am-5pm.

Sierra Kay author of "From Behind the Curtain"

I see you just had a new book released on August 12. Please give us the title, genre, and a quick look at the storyline.
The current book is a suspense novel, "From Behind the Curtain."

Dee spent most of her life on welfare, watching her often-absent father struggle with addiction and, lately, watching her mother’s battle with cancer. Dee had paid her dues. When her Auntie M brought her to live in Atlanta, things were supposed to get better.

In Atlanta, Dee had new clothes, a full fridge, and her own bedroom. However, she soon realized there were other issues. The most important was the apparent overdose of Pastor Clifton, her aunt’s best friend and secret love. Pastor Clifton was trying to clean up the neighborhood.

So how did he end up slumped over his desk—dead? And why, in a church full of gossips, was no one saying a word?

In Dee’s world, that level of power wasn’t unheard of. But here, it was difficult to distinguish the players and, more importantly, who was managing them from behind the curtain.

The book fuses the heartfelt story of a struggling young woman with the gripping pulse of a mysterious murder. ‘From Behind the Curtain’ is poised to resonate with readers around the world.

What inspired you to write this book and how long did the process take?
I was inspired by a discussion with two friends of mine of one of my favorite musicals, The Wiz. I added a reference to it in the book. The book has a number of references, and most of them have nothing to do with The Wiz. Some of which are so subtle that readers may not notice them until the very end. The book took me about four months to write the first draft. Editing, of course, is endless.




You also have another book, can you tell us a little about that one? Are the two books part of a series or are they completely separate?
My two novels are two completely separate. Unhinged is a women's fiction novel. It's about Shelia whose has been lying to her husband about his attempts to get her pregnant. She’s been lying to her best friend about what really happened in Paris. She’s been avoiding her next door neighbor, Ayaan, ever since moving to Flossmoor, Illinois. She needs to come clean and re-establish the relationships in her life.   
  
Who designed your book covers?
I have my books designed by Art on the Loose. They're located in Beverly, and they do phenomenal work. It's a very collaborative process.




How did you arrive at the titles of your books? Did you know what they were from day one or were they constantly changing as you wrote?

My titles changed as I wrote. Unhinged changed constantly. From Behind the Curtain changed a few times, but I settled on that title pretty quickly.

How do you find or make time to write?
I wrote primarily on weekends. I used to spend hours in coffee shops on weekends just typing away.
A happy fan with a copy of "From Behind the Curtain" by Sierra Kay
What do you enjoy the most about having a book(s) published?
I love the sense of accomplishment of completing a work. I also love promoting my book. It's a great journey meeting other authors and readers. I love writing and talking about writing. I enjoy the whole process.

What do your plans for future projects include?
My future projects include another novel. I may do a book of poetry.  
  
Contact info for Sierra Kay:
Twitter: @sierrakay1
SIERRA'S BOOKS ARE AVAILABLE ON AMAZON

Note from Karen: Being a writer and an Indie author has been so much fun for me--I get to meet amazing people like Sierra Kay. Thank you Sierra for agreeing to do this blog interview and discussing your journey as an author.

Please post any comments or additional questions for Sierra in the comment box.

Comments

Popular Posts