Just as Sweet the Second Time Around

As you all know this was my second year vending at the Threads from Past to Present Textile Show in Batavia. Many women were repeat show-goers and I enjoyed seeing them again. I was especially grateful that so many readers who had purchased The Bunco Club last year stopped to tell me how much they had enjoyed it, and then picked up a copy of Book 2 in the series, Quilters of The Bunco Club.

In addition I met a whole new group of enthusiastic quilters and readers this year and had fun spending time with all of them. There were many requests for guild talks, library and book group talks. Nothing was nailed down as confirming these types of events typically have to go before a committee. I was especially excited when I was asked if I would be willing to travel to Georgia for a talk and within 20 minutes someone else asked if I would come to Florida! Of course you know what I said!

Here are my photos with commentary--hope you enjoy!

I've got to start out with a photo of my sister and me. Nolly helps me at most of my shows and I really don't know what I'd do without her help. We each bought a fun charm necklace from Chix that Stitch that Judy Levine created specifically for each of us with charms representing our favorite things. Mine, of course, has a sewing machine, thimble, scissors, and other quilty baubles.
With our brand-spankin' new Chix that Stitch necklaces 
Meet Linda, a creative photographer. I had a great chat with her. We decided to take our glasses off so there wouldn't be any hideous reflection from them!
My sister and I had a fun time when Anne visited my booth.

Onward to some highlights of the quilts in the show:
Artist Cindy Harper of Belvidere standing by her quilted creation titled, "The Willowy Being: A Reedus Salute." I loved meeting Cindy and discussing art and quilting with her. Her work blows me away and I'm toying with seeing if she'd be interested in doing an interview for my blog. Her raw edge applique is flawless. Cindy is definitely a fiber artist we should keep our eyes on.
Information card for above piece.






Some of the Vendors:
Beverly Anderson from Minooka sold impressive miniature quilts, penny rugs, and wall hangings. Talk about flawless -- her work is perfect!
Dear friend and fellow vendor Judy Levine owner of Chix That Stitch. It's always a pleasure to vend the same show with her.
A big shout out for the Quilts of Valor booth and the women who volunteer! For those who are not familiar with Quilts of Valor their mission is to cover service members and veterans touched by war with comforting and healing Quilts of Valor. Check out the website to learn more and find out how you can help this VERY noble cause.
Sharon, owner of The Salvaged Heart Vintage Wares, purchased a copy of The Bunco Club. Take a look at her Facebook page or better yet visit her shop in Batavia where she sells unique recycled items, repainted furniture and handmade designs. One of a kind finds.
And finally...
The following was a very inspiring piece. Visitors to the show had an opportunity to view a traveling exhibit that features a depiction of the historical Route 66. The exhibit is appropriately 66 feet long and features nearly 50 pieces spanning from California to Illinois. This piece was hanging in a hallway and unfortunately in my filming I couldn't get enough distance to give this piece the justice it deserves. But if you missed seeing it in person, this snippet might give you an idea of what it was like.
Here are some photos of the individual quilts surrounding this amazing piece:




Thanks for visiting my blog and sharing this adventure with me!
Karen

.

Comments

  1. Sorry I missed the show this year, but, vintage sewing machines won out. See you next year.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts